The Problems with Tap Water: From Chlorine to Mineral Buildup

The Problems with Tap Water: From Chlorine to Mineral Buildup


While tap water is a convenient and readily available source of hydration for your plants, it's not always the best option. One of the main issues with tap water is the presence of chlorine. Chlorine is added to municipal water supplies as a disinfectant, but it can also be harmful to your monstera plant.

Chlorine can damage the roots of your plant, leading to stunted growth or even death. It can also disrupt the natural balance of microorganisms in the soil that help with nutrient uptake. Over time, the buildup of chlorine and other chemicals in tap water can cause the soil to become too acidic, making it difficult for your plant to absorb essential minerals.

Another problem with tap water is the presence of minerals like calcium and magnesium. While these minerals are essential for plant growth, they can accumulate in the soil over time and lead to nutrient imbalances. This buildup can also cause salt deposits on the soil, making it harder for water to penetrate and potentially damaging your plant's roots.

How to make the best out of your tap water

If you're using tap water for your monstera plant, it's important to be mindful of these issues and take steps to mitigate them.


  1. Let the tap water sit for 24 hours to allow chlorine and other chemicals to evaporate and minerals to settle to the bottom of the container before using it to water your plants.

  2. Add a small amount of organic matter, such as compost or worm castings, to the water to provide beneficial nutrients for your plants.

  3. Use a water filtration system, such as a carbon filter, to remove impurities from the tap water before using it to water your plants. 

Read more about the different types of water and their benefits for your plants here

Previous Article Next Article

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published